[mythtv] New feature idea - MythCalendar

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:14:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:47:39 +0200, Jeppe N. Madsen
<jeppenm at worldonline.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Ciaran wrote:
>
> >  I've pretty much gained g/f acceptance of the box which is great.
> >  However we're both very poor timekeepers and are forever missing
> >  dinner dates etc :)
> >
> >  My idea is 'MythCalendar' allowing the mythtv box, which is
> >  currently our Media Center (all our music/vids/dvd and tv in
> >  onebox) to function as a visual scheduler for our lives as well
> >  just the TV :)
> >
> >  Now I'm a reasonable developer and am happy to being writing code
> >  to do this, but before I bother I wanted to know if anyone else has
> >  begun work on this, or worse still Isaac hates the idea and wants
> >  me to stop, right away :) I also wanted other people's
> >  comments/ideas for such a thing.  [or even better somebody's
> >  already done this <g> ]
> >
> >  Any comments/complaints/ideas ?
>
> I think this is a great idea. I've been thinking along some of the
> same lines as well, but haven't had time yet to actually do more.
>
> Things I would like to do:
>
> - Should be able to handle a few people (i.e. a family)
> - An overview should be available showing todays/weeks tasks for a
>   all people
> - Enter & synchronize data with myth/web/outlook/pda.
>
> For me, a ui only available in myth would be useless. I need to
> synchronize to other calendars, perhaps only Outlook which could then
> synchronize to other devices. My initial idea was to see if somebody
> has created a web-enabled calendar with the above features and then
> create a myth ui on top of this.
>
> /Jeppe

Synchronisation could be a royal pain :( Any ideas on currently
existing projects that may be usable for this ?  All I've been able to
find is libmcal, but this only appears to support one protocol (ICAP)
and wouldn't alllow just an sql backend, which is how I'd want to
store things under myth [since the Db's there already]

Are there any decent scheduling tools available already for linux that
use a server-client style framework, perhaps just writing a client for
one of those (if they exist) would be the easiest solution

- ciaran