[mythtv] Constant ringbuffer

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at mrl.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 22 16:29:06 UTC 2004

]I was thinking along the lines of creating a virtual filing system, which
]would still contain the concept of a ring buffer, but would have the
]functionality to efficiently remap files, i.e. it could create a new file
]from the block map of the ring buffer and continue writing to that new file.
]
]This would basically be a specialized filing system, but I don't fancy
]writing an FS - and it is premature for me to be really thiking about this,
]as I haven't looked at the myth code at all!

The ringbuffer is often on a different file system then the other video
files. For instance, my ringbuffer has it's own filesystem on a harddisk
with no other myth files. So remapping wouldn't really work. If you want
to make this zero copy, you would need to change a lot of architecture
and eliminate the ringbuffer concept.

]To honest, not entirely sure what myth does now when watching LiveTv and
]scheduled prog comes along.
]Does it warn then? Assuming it does, it would be nice if indication in
]menuinng system too, agreed.

Yes, it pops up a dialog that lets you kill the recording.

]I assume, that currrently when schedule change comes along, you loose any
]timeslipped LiveTv you have unwatched?
]But yes definetely it would be nice if the same solution also solved that
]also.

I think you lose it, but I'm not sure. I don't watch LiveTV much.

-- Daniel