[mythtv] New Install - 0.16 or CVS?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Oct 29 22:17:13 UTC 2004

Jeff Thompson wrote:

> Hi, I'm waiting for newegg to deliver all of the components for my
> first mythtv system. I'm trying to decide whether I should install
> using the 0.16 release or go with the CVS HEAD version. Can anyone
> using CVS HEAD comment on the stability vs. the 0.16 release?
>
> On a related note, the CVS tree doesn't appear to use branches as part
> of the normal development process. While each release is tagged in
> CVS, it would appear that there is no "stable" branch for fixes to the
> latest release. Are all fixes to the released version and bleeding
> edge changes made to the HEAD?
>
> I have searched, but did not find a document explaining the mythtv
> development process, so I apologize if this information is available
> somewhere.

I have not found MythTV CVS to be unstable and I run it nearly 100% of
the time, even shortly after releases as the CVS HEAD quickly adds new
features and is in near constant development.  I have rarely run into
any showstopper bugs in CVS and those that are found are fixed promptly
once reported.  For example, just a week or so ago I was experiencing an
occasional segfault and with only a few rounds of reports here with
Isaac, he was able to fix my specific issue.

I wouldn't have any issue running MythTV CVS HEAD.  I would be more
sensitive to the revisions of your drivers and other components which
are far more likely to cause problems.

Kevin