[mythtv] Anyone has a roadmap for creating new MythTV videoout implementation?

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Sun Sep 5 19:28:11 EDT 2004

> I am thinking about creating a new MythTV videoout implementation (new
> hardware!), and wondered whether there's any detailed information
> anywhere
> on how to do this?

	Don't think so - the source code is the documentation :-(
I started writing one when I was developing videoout_quartz.cpp,
but there isn't much in it. If you really need some doco I can
spend a little while tarting it up.

> Where does the actual videoout_foo fit into the overall application?

	Basically, NuppelVideoPlayer (hereafter abbreviated NVP)
creates a VideoOutput object, whose implementation is in
videooutbase.*, and which selects the appropriate videoout_blah
class depending on settings.pro.

	NVP also creates a decoder for the streamed file that is
being viewed - either nuppeldecoder for an internally compressed
software stream (i.e. RT-JPEG or MPEG4 from a V4L card),
or avformatdecoder for a stream produced by any other card.
(e.g. MPEG encoder, DVB)

>  -- Does it receive an MPEG stream, or?

	A videoout_* object receives buffers containing uncompressed
frames from the stream, as YUV format data. NVP calls the
videoout_blah class via its ProcessFrame(), PrepareFrame() and
Show() methods.

	I initially thought that it was possible to have the decoder
prepare frames in any format you choose (e.g. RGB24), but at the
moment it only provides YUV420P.

> -- And where's the audio.

	The decoder deals with the audio as well, but I don't really
understand that part.

	Hope this helps.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|  "Let's see how Spike is going"
Telstra BI&D, Sydney, Australia      |              ...