[mythtv] Mac OS X video: QuickTime implementation

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Wed Sep 8 15:15:30 EDT 2004

On 8 Sep 2004, at 1:40 AM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

> 	I can't quite work out why performance is so bad for you
> and Bruce. As long as I am not running the debug version,

Sometimes I just need a good smack upside the head.

I had been running the debug version.  With the help of Doug Larrick's
recent thread priority patches, I even got things nearly perfect on my
PowerBook, after closing all other applications, stopping as many
daemons as I could, and nice-ing the hell out of it.  With the release
version, I get smooth playback when it's in the foreground, with all of
my other stuff running (with momentary blips when Mail is annihilating
my spam, for instance).

I'm still not to my goal of running on my Cube; I get a prebuffering
pause every second or so.  I may have to wait for more general
performance improvements (I believe the hardware should be up to the
task), but it's getting closer.

>> - There are transparency problems with the OSD overlays - I get
>> yellow instead of transparent areas in both v1 and this version.
>
> 	No such problem for me (in either version). I suspect that
> you are missing an endianness patch for libs/libmythtv/yuv2rgb.cpp
> I will mail (yet another) version of these patches soon.

I'll try the new patch soon and report back.  The problem doesn't occur
with defaultosd, but it's very noticeable in Titivillus OSD.

> 	Haven't had much time to explore this yet, but tried
> setting overscan to 50%. OSD did not display in the visible
> window, so I tried the I (info) key. It crashed.

Try a smaller overscan value.  I found that it shrank the OSD twice as
much as it should have, so you may have run into a zero-width case.

> P.S. Background of display area isn't "blackened" between
>      modes when changing aspect.

Thanks; I hadn't played with the aspect stuff yet. This should be a
simple fix, I'll get it in the next update.

- Jeremiah