[mythtv] Translations: How does it work?

Daniel Savard Daniel.Savard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:26:18 EDT 2004

I am currently working on the french translation. For mythtv, I
haven't look at other modules yet, I found there is some stuff to
translate in the following directories:

mythtv/themes/classic   .xml files
mythtv/themes/default    .xml files
mythtv/programs/mythfrontend   .xml files
mythtv/i18n    .ts files then produce .qm files

But, I also found some files in mythtv/themes/Titivillus and other
themes, but these files are duplicates of already existing files in
default or classic. So, why do we need them at all? Couldn't we just
rely on the same set of files for all themes? I don't see why there
should be a need to introduce some UI text specific to a theme?

Also, I didn't figure out how I can translate the heading title of a
UI section, for example SETUP which appear on top of the screen for
all sub-panels in the SETUP section.