[mythtv] [Patch] MythWeb MythVideo Info Edit

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Sep 9 00:59:44 EDT 2004

> First, I do not separate the logic from the display.  I may attempt this
> next as I gain experience with how the rest of mythweb is laid out.

this is bad.  I'm not so good at this, myself, but it's one of the most
important things I try for with new code.  It's not actually that hard
-- you generally just have to set/pass a few variables around.

> Secondly, this functionality does require javascript, as does the existing
> Video Info Edit code.  I understand this may be an issue with some people.

Yeah.  Not much to do about that.  Generally, I use javascript where it
helps, but make sure that most of the functionality works without it.  I
think most people complaining about lack of javascript still use a
javascript-friendly browser MOST of the time.

>  I can rewrite the patch to use the same window instead of opening new
> windows - this would actually simplify the code some, however it didn't
> achieve the effect I wanted at the time and I hadn't heard of any concerns
> with the use of javascript in the existing code.  Of course, it may simply
> be that few, if any, are actually using this functionality and therefore
> didn't notice.  Before completely rewriting my patch, I'd like to hear if
> this is an issue and about any other needed changes.

I personally don't like new windows..  but that's because I have my
browser configured to open everything in new tabs, and NOT focus them...
  so it means an extra click for me.  (I can control-middleclick to open
in a new tab and focus)

Anyway, anything else?

-Chris