[mythtv] RFE: conditional UI settings presentation

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Thu Sep 9 23:20:10 EDT 2004

> The UI decision can take place either at compile time or at run time.
> An example is the screen for PVR-350 options.  If the ivtv config flag
> is disabled, then Myth knows at compile time that I will never use a
> PVR-350.  It doesn't even have to build that code.  If ivtv is
> enabled, I still may not have a PVR-350 installed; at run time, it
> could execute a check for the required hardware, and skip the screen
> if a 350 is not found.  Ultimately, I'd like to see both types of
> checks in place, although the compile-time decision is much more
> straightforward and would be a big help by itself.

	Just for sake of argument, here is another example.
I install the KnoppMyth distribution in a machine with a
DVB card. libmythtv had not been compiled with DVB support.
The setup program helpfully let me select DVB as an input
card, and had "please compile with DVB support" in the
info section.

	It the UI hadn't allowed me to select DVB as a card,
it would have been a little bit harder to work out the
next step (recompile).

	My feeling is that it would be bad to remove too many
of these UI settings, as they are sometimes a form of doco.

(of course, we should remove all that stuff from a Mac build,
  since I ain't planning on supporting PVR-350s. Firewire or
  USB based tuners are a different story, though :-)

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au | "Now the world has gone to bed,
Telstra BI&D, Sydney, Australia       |  Darkness won't engulf my head,