[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commits

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Mon Sep 13 08:13:22 EDT 2004

Tako Schotanus wrote:

> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> - Merge in Terry Barnaby's patch (with cleanups and fixes from me) to
>> support the new unichrome driver's "XvMC" support for the VIA
>> CLE266.  Needs tested, since I can't do more than compile it at the
>> moment.
>> - Remove old via hwslice code that wasn't being maintained.  Only way
>> to do hardware decode on the epia-m boards is through the unichrome
>> driver support now.
>
> Could you maybe elaborate what Epia-M users have to do for this?
> Because even though I see the messages come by once in a while I have
> no idea what "XvMC" or "unichrome" is. Or is it documented (or a
> message on the list) somewhere that explains how to switch?

unichrome is the name of the open source driver project for the via
cle266, cn400 and kn400 chipsets (unichrome.sourceforge.net).

XvMC is the motion compensation API used in nvidia cards to assist
hardware decoding. The via chipsets provide a higher level mpeg decoding
interface which provides VLD aka slice level decoding.
The unichrome driver has therefore implemented an extension to the XvMC
api provisionally called XxMC (aka via XvMC aka XvVLD) to provide a
nicer interface to the decoder.

This replaces the old via ddmpeg interface... which is no longer
supported in the unichrome X drivers anyway.

The most noticeable impact of this change is that it is no longer
necessary for mythfrontend to run as root.

As for "What do EPIA-M" users have to do.... well it depends. This
change is in CVS and you're reading the dev list... so.... I guess
"Needs Testing" about sums it up.

In brief... you'll need to be running X with the Unichrome drivers
instead of the via drivers (see unichrome site). You'll need the libxvmc
library installed (see unichrome site). and you'll probably need the
unichrome drm drivers installed (see xorg).
Then you'll need to recompile myth and enable the XvMC_VLD option in
your settings.pro.

Then start filing bug reports. :-)

Of course you might as well install the xine-plugin for unichrome too
(see unichrome site) and play with mythdvd too.

--
Ivor.
http://ivor.org - Leylandii hedge,    http://ivor.it - Technology