[mythtv] EPIA Question: DirectFB/QtEmbedded or X11/QtX11??

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 14 04:05:59 EDT 2004

Hi all.

I've used my EPIA to access Myth for a while. I don't have a tuner card,
so this is just for my Music and Movies really.

I built my network booting image myself from scratch, but want to start
again with a cleaner build environment (gonna use GAR unless anyone
suggests anything better).

Anyway, my question is: would it be better to use DirectFB and
QtEmbedded or, as I do currently, X11 with Qt X11??

I like the idea of using DirectFB but am worried about performance.

Obviously the Unichrome driver wont work, but the DirectFB support for
the CLE266 is apparently pretty good now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

This post seems to suggest it worked with older drivers:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2003-December/016399.html but I
can't get through to:
http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaDirectFB at the
moment to read up more...