[mythtv] 4:3 content on 16:9 HDTV & Black bars - revisited

Moasat mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 14 20:19:05 EDT 2004

The source material is analog TV through s-video and the PVR350 captures at
720x480.  I have no HD input capabilities but I'm using a VGA to Component
adapter to feed the PC video to the HDTV.  At 960x540, the TV locks into HD
mode.  If I feed it a VGA res of 720x480, the TV stays in 'analog' mode and
the smooth-wide function is available but I don't think the picture is
nearly as good.

I'm trying to find the optimum resolution for watching DVDs and the 4:3
content so I thought running at 960x540 in Myth with the non-linear scaler
for the TV content would look the best and most like, or better, than what
I'm currently seeing without Myth.  (Satellite to ReplayTV to TV, all via
S-Video)