[mythtv] pcHDTV NTSC<->ATSC

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 14 20:14:21 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 17:07, David George wrote:
> Jason Hoos wrote:
> >I recently looked into getting both ATSC and NTSC working on a single
> > pcHDTV card, mostly because I had defined two sources on my card (one off
> > each antenna), one source being HDTV and one source being cable.  When I
> > did that, Myth kept locking up anytime I switched to an NTSC channel.
>
> Umm, are you sure that the pcHDTV NTSC supports cable?

It does.

> I wasn't aware
> that it was a cable tuner.  I thought it only did OTA (over-the-air)
> NTSC.

The big issue w/ATSC OTA and cable is the encoding (8VSB vs. QAM), There's no
encoding to deal with on NTSC, so the only meaningful difference w/NTSC is
the frequency table.If one simply selects the us-cable freq table, the pcHDTV
shouldn't have a problem with NTSC cable.

> Just wondering anyone really interested in NTSC over the air?

Hell no. :-)

> I am only about 10-20 miles from our local stations and the reception
> is horrible.

25 miles here, but monster roof-top antenna, amplifier and RG6-QS. I get all
the HD channels I care about (though two have issues...) and I believe all
the SD channels are fine, but I haven't bothered looking at any of them in
ages (I've got cable too).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jarod at wilsonet.com