[mythtv] Scheduling and repeats

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Sep 16 17:33:05 EDT 2004

J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>> Would this omission explain why a non-repeat show would not be
>> recorded when checking dups in current and previous recordings but
>> WOULD be recorded when only checking dups in current recordings? The
>> shows I think should be recorded are now showing with a 'P'
>> (previously recorded), which is an improvement over showing an 'r'.
>> However, the shows in question were not recorded previously because
>> they are brand new.
>

> The section of SQL I had left out would have done the proper lookups on
> the titles and descriptions so probably.  When I saw it my first thought
> that it would allow dups through but I guess it was in inverse.  I need
> to do more testing of this, but I can't do so until I have a chance to
> either get a capture card in my dev box or time to test with my MBE.
>

>>> That is correct.  New recordings only is currently implemented as a
>>> "dup in" not a "dup loc".  When set something to be recorded as new
>>> episodes only it looks for duplicates using subtitle and description.
>>

>> I also notice there is not way to specify what to check for (i.e.
>> description, subtitle) when you are recording new episodes only.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "dup in" and "dup loc". If shows
>> typically have no subtitle, would it make sense to have an option to
>> allow the new recordings to look for duplicates using subtitle and/or
>> description?
>

> I was smoking crack when I wrote that.  The new episodes is a "dup
> method" as in "match using subtitles and descriptions" not a dup
> location as in "look in current and old recordings".  If the show is not
> a repeat (kDupCheckNewEpi) then the scheduler should treat it as  "match
> using subtitles and descriptions" (kDupCheckSubDesc) and look in the
> area specified by the recording rule.

This is what I had mentioned last week but may have stated it in
a confusing way (since you had enabled the dupin selections which
was not the solution I was suggesting ;-).

Dupmethod is the choice of fields to compare when two items are
compared.

Dupin is the choice of which items are elegible to be compared.

New episodes only seems to be more a matter of which items are
eligble to be compared and not a choice of the feilds that are
compared.

Take for example a grabber that doesn't have programids but does
have original air dates or at least decent repeat markings. A series
has unique subtitles, no descriptions and each episode has three
showing per week. If kDupCheckNewEpi is a dupmethod, there is no
way to set kDupCheckSub and so it will record all three showings.

If instead it was kDupsInNewEpi ( = 0x13 with the 0x10 flag to
check previouslyshown) to limit it to check both recorded and
oldrecorded and mark all other previouslyshown as rsRepeat, then
any dupmethod could be applied.

--  bjm