[mythtv] DVD iso image autoloader

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 16:31:50 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 16:07, Dave K. Packham wrote:
> So... The question is.  Can one compress the MPG2 streams of and DVD
> ISO image to get the file to a managable size and still have the menu
> structure intact?
>
> Dave

A DVD is already compressed... in MPEG-2.  I doubt you'll save much more
space by trying to compress the disk image.  If you're wondering
whether you can transcode the entire DVD (menus and all) to a smaller
codec like MPEG-4, that's possible, but I don't think there's any way
to do that and preserve the ability to navigate the DVD menus.

-JAC