[mythtv] [mythtv-users] nuvexport beta available

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Sep 27 01:50:40 EDT 2004

So after much cramming (because I was running out of drive space) by
myself and Gavin (aka Beirdo), I am officially announcing the beta
release of the new version of nuvexport, available here:

http://forevermore.net/files/nuvexport_beta.tar.bz2

These changes are NOT in cvs (yet), and the file will change as bugs are
found/fixed.  I'm also not organized to have a real change list, but
here is the gist of it:

Near-complete rewrite from the ground up.  The original nuvexport was a
hack, and I didn't know much of anything about transcoding, or plan much
for it to be used for anything more than svcd exporting (so it got messy
as people submitted new modules).  Other than the nuv+sql and mpeg2cut
modules, everything now uses the transcode program, rather than having
separate transcode/nontranscode modules (there was a lot of confusion
since the old "transcode" modules only worked with mpeg2 files).
nuvexport will auto-detect the type of file being transcoded, and use
mythtranscode/fifos accordingly.

You can now select multiple shows for export (the menus should be pretty
easy to understand -- please note the addition of a "confirm" stage, and
that adding a "show" with only one episode auto-adds that episode and
skips you straight to "confirm").

There is now a progress indicator (it's about 99% accurate), and all of
the confusing transcode/whatever output is hidden.  I still need to add
code to properly pass errors through if something dies.  For now,
--debug should still work as it used to.

Commandline support is much more organized, but is still a bit lacking
in this beta version.  There is no documentation for it as of yet, either.

Other things to note..  recordings are now "cropped" before they're
exported, to get rid of the broadcast overscan/black border stuff.  This
will eventually be an option, but I haven't had time to hook it up.
Currently, 2-3% is taken off of each edge automatically.  Eventually,
we'll also add something for letterbox/widescreen cropping, too.
Anyway, just keep this in mind when exporting your 640x480 recording, so
that you are aware that exporting it to a 640x480 xvid file will
actually be stretching the video taller/wider.

Integration with mythweb, and the client/server mode are still on the
horizon, but nowhere near functional yet in this version (mythweb
integration will kick in as soon as the CLI stuff is finished).

Things that still need to happen:  add ansi color support to menus (for
titles, etc), finish cli/walkthrough separation, documentation, finish
porting a few remaining modules, probably some other stuff that I can't
think of at the moment.

I can be reached here via email, the feedback form on forevermore.net or
  often on #mythtv-users (I don't hang out much in the dev channel
because most of what goes on there is over my head).  And please
remember, this is a beta.  That means it is probably unstable, could
wipe your drive, cause hurricanes and/or spontaneously combust nearby
politicians.

-Chris