[mythtv] Freezes on 64bit when starting recordings or LiveTV

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Sat Apr 2 16:53:25 UTC 2005

> Ok, I've found an old patch from Kyle Rose to replace all
> pthread_rwlock_* calls with a mix of pthread_mutex_* and
> pthread_cond_*:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/107232?search_string=pthread_rwlock;#107232
>
> Isaac, is it a bad solution to replace them permanently in RingBuffer.cpp?

I'm a little behind on my list email.

I agree with Isaac that this patch should not be committed to the
repository.  The problem isn't with mythtv, it's with glibc; and adding
workarounds to client software in response to bugs in libraries is just
one less incentive for the library maintainers to fix their damn code.

FWIW, I'm surprised at how long the pthread_rwlock_* stuff has been
broken.  Either the Debian maintainers are really lazy or the glibc guys
don't care much about AMD64.

Cheers,
Kyle