[mythtv] New configure --prefix is not updating settings.pro

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Apr 7 06:24:37 UTC 2005

>> What's about checking if the user uses debian (for example "test -e
>> /etc/debian_version" or test if the word local appears in "which gcc")
>> to automatically set --prefix to /usr?

um, correct me if I'm wrong, but the way that I understand things is that:

/usr/ is for package- and distro- installed files
/usr/local/ is for things you compile manually

see: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY

This is how you keep things straight, and why /usr/local/ is the default
in every decent linux package I've ever seen.  This is also why
configure and make have hooks for setting the prefix -- so people who
write packages, or like to install things in /var/local/opt/mythtv/ can
do that sort of thing.

Personally (and granted, I'm not a debian user), it'd seriously piss me
off if a program set itself to /usr/ without my telling it to.

-Chris