[mythtv] MythMusic feature request

Colin Smillie csmillie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 00:29:17 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 8:04 PM, Devan Lippman <devan.lippman at gmail.com> wrote:
> First let me confess that I haven't really used this yet as I just
> have gotten myth frontend/backend working within the week, but I have
> been doing some reading.  I was thinking it might be nice to adapt
> mythmusic to have a frontend/backend relationship where a "real-time"
> media transport (such as RTP) would provide streams to the frontend.
> Building off of this it would become possible to select multiple idle
> frontends to stream to, with a greater level of time-sync than a
> retransmissive protocol (TCP) would allow?  There's a lot of "if"s
> here having never used RTP before but I would be willing to jump in to
> the development effort.  My familiarity with the myth code is next to
> nil and this is likely to become a large project, but it could end up
> saving a lot of wires run accross the house.  At any rate just thought
> I'd throw it out there.

I'd suggest if your looking a different frontend/backend protocol to
look at uPNP.  I believe they use RTP or similar protocol and it would
give you advantage of being able to use uPNP media devices off the
shelve.

The only project I'm aware of that comes close is Cyberlink ( search
myth archives ) but my understanding is that it only has a framebuffer
implementation for video.  It wasn't clear if audio only could be
used.