[mythtv] DVB patch for Freeview/Xtraview

Charlie Brej brejc8 at vu.a.la
Tue Apr 12 10:20:48 UTC 2005

First of all, the patch is attached and it allows you to watch the new Xtraview
channel on the UK Freeview system. It is only a first stab but seems to work
correctly without messing up the other channels.

The second more important issue is the legality. I have read a lot of postings
about this and as far as I can see it is legal. There is no encryption on the
channels. They are simply sent is a way which most boxes are unable to pick up
the reception (the streams pretend to be subtitles).

All the Xtraview site says is:
"XTRAVIEW uses proprietary Top Up TV technology. You must not attempt to
decompile, disassemble, modify or reverse engineer this technology."
That's fine. I didn't.

The most important issue is probably the image that MythTV wants to project.
There is some fuss in the US about "all MythTV users being pirates" and this
could add to it.

(btw. please try not to get too aggressive, discuss rather than flame)

--
         Charlie Brej
APT Group, Dept. Computer Science, University of Manchester