[mythtv] Dumb question about tv-out and audio on Nvidia cards

Jeremy Muhlich jmuhlich at bitflood.org
Wed Apr 20 15:40:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 22:54 +0100, Roger James wrote:

> I currently run via the tv-out on a PVR-350. This setup routes the
> audio from the PVR-350 hardware mpeg decoder via the S-Video socket on
> the back on the card and on into my TV speakers

s-video carries video *only*.  The PVR-350 has a breakout cable that has
a specialized plug on the card end, and s-video, composite, and L+R
audio plugs on the other end.  That jack on the PVR-350 is not an s-
video jack but rather some Hauppauge custom thing.

> My dumb question is. If I setup tv-out via a Nvidia Geforce4 card and
> use XvMC will it route audio via the connector on the back of the
> Nvidia card in the same way, or does the NVidia mpeg decoder just do
> video.

You will need separate sound hardware, since the Nvidia card just does
video.  Most PC motherboards these days have onboard audio, but if not
you'll need a separate sound card.  You'll also need a regular s-video
cable, and a 1/8" mini to stereo RCA cable to connect up the audio.

 -- Jeremy