[mythtv] mfd RSTP

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Fri Apr 22 14:59:15 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 09:38 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> thor <mythtv at lamedomainname.com> writes:
> >  The point is that now those "speakers" can be on any mfd host. And
> > you'll shortly be able to turn them on and off with the mfe. And those
> > stay in sync, at least with my limited testing thus far :-)
>
> Ok, stupid question: can the mfd act like AirTunes and have iTunes
> "play" to it?

 Not currently. Problem is that everything sent to and played by an AirTunes
is encrypted. The public keys are well known, so you can (in principal)
encrypt content and stream it to an AirTunes.

 The private keys, however, are ... well ... private. So there's no way for an
mfd "speaker" plugin to decrypt the content and send it to a soundcard.

 Why did Apple do this? Because you can stream m4p (fairplay'd) to an
AirTunes. If you could emulate an AirTunes and decrypt the content, you could
write out a copy to a file instead of playing, thereby stripping the
fairplay.

- thor