[mythtv] Re: MythTV 0.18 debs

Sat Apr 23 22:55:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:05:26 -0400, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 08:11:11PM +1000, William Uther wrote:
>> I think it'd be a good idea if this was put in a source repository
>> somewhere.  Any chance of making another directory in the mythtv CVS
>> repository?  We could put these debian directories in there, as well
>> as gentoo scripts, rpm stuff, etc.  Then scripts could be kept up to
>> date with CVS as it evolves.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/11456?
> do=post_view_threaded
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_attachment;
> postatt_id=713;list=mythtv

Thanks for the pointers, I hadn't seen those before.  I fully agree
with Matt's points about putting the debian directory into the main
mythtv sources - the two are on different release cycles and it would
be a bad idea.  I'd add one other -ve for that idea he doesn't mention:
you're going to have package info for a number of packaging systems -
you don't want it all cluttering your main source tree.

However, that wasn't what I was proposing :) (although I agree I could
have been more clear).  I was suggesting a separate repository (or
separate place in the current repository) for the package information.
That way, when Matt goes on a break at the same time as a new release,
the information is already there for someone else to roll debs.  It
also makes it easier if someone wants to make debs of CVS.  Mismatch of
release cycles isn't an issue for this suggestion.  And it doesn't
clutter the main source tree.

I'm busy this week, but I'll try and get a public subversion server set
up next week to host this stuff, unless someone comes up with a better
suggestion.

Be well,

Will          :-}

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357               Computer Science and Engineering