[mythtv] XVideo XvMC VLD broken

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cat.nyu.edu
Mon Apr 25 20:56:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 16:59 +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> I am one of the unichrome people, and the one responsible for the
> original MythTV XvMC VLD implementation.
> I am happy to have a look at this issue.
> In what way do you think that "the Unichrome drivers don't deal with
> stream changes gracefully" ?

Well right now on channel changes we call XvMCHideSurface() on all the
XvMCSurfraces, then we call XvMCDestroyContext(), and then we create a
new context, and create new surfaces. But at this point the VLD driver
tells us we do not own the context.

The plan is to change this so that on channel changes we don't delete
the context at all, but rather just delete surfaces and recreate them
one surface at a time as they are needed. Hence I was going to consult
with you guys once I had that implemented, assuming this new
implementation cause problems for VLD.

These messages:
>>2005-04-25 06:38:19.007 AddInheritence(A       ) Error, future=frame
mean that the p_future_surface is the same as p_surface. i.e. the frame
depends on itself. This doesn't cause problems within MythTV itself, but
can bring down the nvidia XvMC implementation. I don't know if it
causes problems for the Unichrome driver...

-- Daniel