[mythtv] XVideo XvMC VLD broken

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Apr 26 05:34:36 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 23:00 +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>

>>>I don't think there is an issue with closing and re-opening the
>>>context in XvMC VLD. So I am note sure your channel change
>>>system will affect the problem.
>>>
>>>There appears to be a more fundemental problem in avcodec after
>>>a channel change.
>>>The XVMC_VLD_field_end() function is continuely called without
>>>any XVMC_VLD_field_start() calls. It appears that avcodec is
>>>trying to decode garbage ....
>
> Hmm, do you know who wrote the VLD part of avcodec?
Yes, it was me :)

>>If the DVB-T frond end is set to PS rather than TS mode then
>>the channel change happens and XvMC VLD carries along quite happily
>>without any "This context does not own decoder!" messages.
>>The Vido output does fall over with a " Timed out waiting for free
>>video buffers" after a bit though.
>>There are other MythTv issues with av_remove_stream() could this
>>be something to do with the problem ....
>
> Well we're not calling av_remove_stream right now, we just create a
> new decoder in avformatdecoder and leak a some memory. This was a
> quick-n-dirty fix for some DVB channel changing problems, I plan to
> fix this when I change the channel change behaviour. It probably
> makes sense to hold off any VLD changes until the MythTV behaviour
> is fixed. Gimme a week or so.
If you look at my "bug1" log from a few emails back, you will see
that "something" is calling av_remove_stream() on a channel change
when TS streams are in use. av_remove_stream() does not appear to be
called when PS streams are in use ...
Maybe the "DVB channel changing problems" you refer to is due
to some problem with av_remove_stream() and the VBuffer system ?
I don't intend to make any VLD changes but will investigate a
little more ...

Good luck

Terry