[mythtv] Patch for generic SQL query

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Wed Apr 27 19:00:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:27:59PM +0200, Torbjörn Jansson wrote:
> I agree with you on the security stuff, this extra command won't make it any
> more or less secure than before.
> If you want to make the protocol secure, you probably have to go thru the
> whole protocol and posibly add authentication or something like that.
>

> But isn't allowing for directly executing sql queries defeating the whole
> idea behind protocol versioning?
> I mean, what if there is an incompatible change in the db structure? How are
> the app that sends sql queries going to know that?

Well, I look at the DB Schema value when I am going dircectly to the
database, though I usually only check if things will be there, not if
the number is _higher_ than I expect which could result in some trouble.

And so it would here.   What I don't get is that SQL query interfaces
are very complex buggers, though if you want a simple "get me this column"
query you can simplify that.    However, SQL libraries are available for
just about every language out there specifically to solve this
problem.