[mythtv] Re: max episodes (mis?) behaviour and solution

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 22:16:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:17:31PM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
> This doesn't work because in Scheduler::AddNewRecords, when it counts
> episode, it counts episodes with the same titles.

Known issue, well, at least by me.

> I looked at the code, and it seems to me that if you just changed the
> count to work on recordid instead of title, it would work properly. The
> recordid is in the recorded table, and later on, when you set the
> toomany flag, it's done based on recordid anyway.

It's been my intention to make this change for quite some time.  I
just haven't needed it myself so I haven't pushed the issue.

> I think the only downside is that if you delete a schedule and create a
> new one for the same show title, the ones recorded on the old schedule are

I think the biggest downside is potential user confusion.  "Why does
Myth say too many episodes have been recorded when I don't see any
recorded with that title."  Of course, anyone setting up search rules
with maxpepisodes should know what they're doing.

> lost. You could fix that by setting the recordid to -1 in recorded when
> the schedule is deleted, then when you create a recording schedule,
> adopt any orphans where the title matches and the recordid ==
> -1. Ideally, this should be user controlled, but if not, it just sort-of
> preserves the existing behaviour

I don't see any need for this.

David
--