[mythtv] Why nuppelvideo mpeg4?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Tue Aug 9 06:52:29 EDT 2005

> i have found that a patched mplayer can play back .nuv files just fine -
> while you cannot use jump-forward/jump-back (left-arrow / right-arrow) to
> seek, you can use RW/FF (left-trigger / right-trigger) to RW/FF at
> 1x/2x/4x/8x/16x/32x.  sure - the picture breaks up until it sees a keyframe -
> but that isn't so bad - and if we did want to fix something, that'd be one of
> the things to address.

 	I have also found this to be true.  Unfortunately, the last time I
tried to use 'nuv2avi' to convert a transcoded file to a vanilla
windows-happy AVI file, the A/V sync was broken throughout the file.  I
don't know if this is still the case, but I don't think nuv2avi has been
updated since then.

 	I would venture to say that there are a couple of reasons why it's
been a problem.  The .nuv container is widely unused and myth tweaked it a
bit.

-Cory