[mythtv] Video and Audio too Fast and Jumpy

ben levitt benjie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:19:10 UTC 2005

I recently upgraded my laptop from Mandrake 10 to Ubuntu Hoary, and
upon reinstalling myth (same old cvs version 0.18-fixes source as
before, and same as my backend) playback is very broken.

It is as though video frames are being played too fast, and the audio
is trying to keep up, but can't.  The audio is played at the correct
pitch/samplerate, but since it's being fed to the soundcard too fast
(to match the fast video frames) it loses chunks of audio, and so the
sound gets choppy, and lags behind the video.

Here are logs of me watching live tv in PVR250-style mpeg2, recorded
tv in mpeg4, and then more livetv in mpeg4 with --verbose
playback,libav,audio

http://benjie.org/mythlogs/live.txt
http://benjie.org/mythlogs/recorded.txt
http://benjie.org/mythlogs/verbose.txt

I'm on a thinkpad T41 (radeon, pentium M, using xv, using oss->alsa
emulation).  Everything is installed from the ubuntu packages, except
myth which I built from source.  I've since grabbed and tried the most
recent release-0-18-fixes from svn with the same results.

If anyone has ideas, I'd be really excited to hear them.

Thanks,
Ben