[mythtv] new feature saving the ring buffer

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 18:24:08 UTC 2005

On 30/08/05, Louie Ilievski <loudawg at comcast.net> wrote:

> In regard to aaron's post about the overhead of copying the buffer and such, I
> don't think this is an issue.  I think it would be best to just continue
> recording as is and then copy the program over after it is finished.  I saw a
> friend's TiVo quite a while ago and I think it does something like this
> because I remember sitting there staring at a "Please Wait" message.  Now, I
> can't remember if this was right when he decided to start recording or after
> it stopped, but either way I think that issue can be fairly easily resolved.

Hm, a reasonable idea... as long as there's enough space on the LiveTV
partition. :)   In my case, I have a 5 GB partition for LiveTV (with
the LiveTV buffer set to 5 GB max, which seems to expose another
possible bug when the buffer fills the filesystem (which is slightly
less than 5GB))  so if I were to use this method to record, say, a
two-hour program, I might run out of space.

May be neither here nor there. Just trying to point out a thing or two
to keep in mind when designing / implementing this nifty feature. :)

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-spewtumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent