[mythtv] MythVideo Series Handling

Surye surye80 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:18:43 UTC 2005

Hello,

First post, hope to become more active and contribute as much as I can.

Anyways, on to business. A friend of mine and I were discussion how to
manage videos that are in a natural series, such as Anime or other TV
episodes. The current models does not led itself well to this in my
opinion, and the only real hack is to use Categories for the show
title, and Movies category for real movies. That, or use the tree
view, and relay on the directory structure (which is what I am
currently using). We were talking about the fact that it is next to
impossible to get metadata from a TV show right now as far as we know.
I was going to write a script to use TV.com to get metadata, as it is
quite an extensive repository of episode data. The only thing is, the
current system really doesn't lend to the idea of "Title" and
"Episode" being separate.

Is there any kind of motion to have a more natural support for
serialized videos, or interest to try and work one out?

And one final, related note, is there any chance for an arbitrary
number of sub-categories? This would also help to organize serial
videos, as well as music videos, and even movies. I'd love to help
work on that, but I wanted to get a feel for what the developers
currently feel about such and idea, and what are the pros and cons you
can think of.

Thanks,

Surye