[mythtv] H.264 and mythtv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 31 19:33:57 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Bernd Paysan wrote:
>
>> Are there any plans to include H.264 support into mythtv?
>
> Microsoft lists minimum requirements
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ChoosingPC.aspx
> ) that in truth are way too optimistic--even with Windows drivers
> providing full support for all (sound/video) card features.

BTW, Apple's minimum system requirements page (
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/recommendations.html ) gives
far more realistic numbers than MS's page.  They show Windows requiring
dual 2.8GHz Xeon or above for 720p at 24-30fps and unable to do 1080p,
which seems to match the reviews I've seen much better.  I guess Linux
(and Myth) are far more efficient than Windows/WMP (of course, that
makes sense since it really requires one 2.8GHz CPU just to run WMP :).

Mike