[mythtv] SVN 8106 playback pauses for prebuffering often

Jesse Crews jcrews at gridlox.net
Sun Dec 4 16:15:36 UTC 2005

Hi list,

this is my first time posting, so please try to bear with me.

I just started working with rev 8106, and the first thing I noticed re.
playback is that NVP pauses for prebuffering at the drop of a hat.
Playback was much more robust/tolerant in 0.18.

I'm using ATSC on one DVB card (b2c2 flexcop + lgdt3303) "HD5000."
OtherHardware is athlon-xp 2100+ with 512MB DDR SDRAM. vo is via NV
FX5200.

video_output always prints "fps = '29.97'" when just playing video. I
don't see any verbose playback messages that give away any more
information beyond "prebuffering pause" and "waiting for prebuffer"

I eventually followed the code to videoout_xv.

looking at videoout_xv, I see that xvmc code has been unified (no more
videoout_xvmc), and that the prebuffering setup is much different.

The old way has 8 buffers (one for each surface?)
4 for playback

The new way still has 8 buffers (for nv)
**3** for playback
I set the PRE_NUM to 2 (2 I/P frames before us) <-
libs/libmythtv/videoout_xv.cpp, line 147.

This got rid of the race condition. Playback is perfect.
Was there a reason for not using that 4th surface for buffering?