AW: [mythtv] Bugs, Thinks that should be fixed.

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:43:43 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 03:37, Jochen Kühner wrote:
> Can you make a few screenshots so that all people see what is differnet and
> whats much better...

[Official] http://chokemaniac.loafamotive.com/gallery.php?cat=pm3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cubicgarden/sets/587049/

not mine since I can't easily make any, but screen shots none the less of the
whole system. Anyway, my thoughts/ideas on the two, in a stream of
consciousness format....

XBMC handles music by letting you browse by file or by "library". the library
is created when XBMC scans your music to build its library via tags. When
switched to Library view it then gives you the option to browse via Genre,
Artist, Albums, Songs and then by some pre-set "smart playlists":Top 100,
Recently Added, Recently Played, and then finally playlists.

More than anything the screen layout for XBMC's music is much different and
IMHO nicer. You should be able to get a pretty good idea of how it works from
the screen shots.
Creation of a playlist is as simple as selecting the artist/album/song you
want to add and hitting the 0 button which adds to the playlist, you can then
switch back and forth from the playlist to all the music files with a button,
I've got this mapped to one of the buttons on my remote.

One thing that MythMusic doesn't handle well is the visualizations. Instead of
automatically starting them in fullscreen XBMC requires a button to be
pressed to start it fullscreen. It also does a neat thing where when music is
playing and you go to the main menu, the normal picture graphic is replaced
by the visualization you've chosen.

MythMusic also shows the playback control buttons on the bottom. I've yet to
figure out why since I can't get them to highlight or anything. I haven't
looked into the keymappings for MythMusic, but I don't see why they are not
just mapped the same as MythTV for play/pause/FF/RW/next/previous/etc. and
then just get rid of these graphical buttons. As well a Music OSD similar to
MythTV would be nice, overlayed over the menu and visualization when music is
playing.

If I were to be redesigning MythMusic I would have the file browse view and
the id3tag library view. I personally really like how the iTunes browser
works (with 'Genre | Artist | Album ' allowing you to narrow down the listed
songs) and think this would be a great way to handle viewing songs in library
mode.

anyway, let me know thoughts, etc. As well, if anyone is actually thinking of
working on MythMusic let me know as I'd love to help with UI ideas, I've got
no usable programming skills so thats pretty much all I'd be able to help
with, but I really want Myth to match the music playback capabilities of XBMC
since I listen to music as much as watch TV and being able to use Myth for
this eliminates my need for XBMC on my main stereo (and the ability to move
it to the bedroom as a second Myth frontend ;-)

--
Steve