[mythtv] AC3/DTS passthru, does anyone see a use for these?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Dec 12 20:26:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 09:37 -0500, Doug Larrick wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > I asked in commits if someone using these could test the patch on #730 a
> > few days ago. But no one seems to have responded.
> > Does anyone actually use passthru?
> > If not, removing the passthru feature could simplify the code a bit...
> I definitely use AC3 passthru.  AFAIK it's the only way to get
> multichannel (>2 channel) audio out of MythTV.  I have no source of DTS
> audio so couldn't test the patch.

Ok, it sounds like this feature is in use. I would have like AC3 testing
too as this changes some of the AC3 code as well (there is a lot of
commonality with DTS encoding).

I thought maybe everyone had given up on it because it doesn't work with
time-stretch. I never watch anything below 1.15 these days, and things
like ST:TNG, SG:SG-1 get the 1.5 treatment. I'm a little unhappy with
the non-working multi-channel audio support in MythTV. I might fix that
in 0.20 if no one beats me to it (w/audio time-stretch of course).

Anyway, it looks like Martin is looking at this. Martin, send me a quick
e-mail when you've merged the changes and I'll have a look at it again.

-- Daniel