[mythtv] max channels on a stream

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Dec 17 13:14:48 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 13:09 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> >DTS disks with 6.1 discrete channels definitely exist. I don't think there
> >are any with 7.1 yet (not sure even if that is possible?). This page lists
> >some 6.1 titles and has a bit more info at the bottom:
> That would be DTS-ES.
Yup, and I forgot MPEG2-AAC supports 48 full channels plus 16 low
frequency channels (0.1 channels). So it's really 64 channels as far
as the sound card is concerned. And I was wrong about the profile,
this number of channels is supported in low profile MPEG2, not
just main profile; the only difference is how many of the
predictors get parsed in each profile.

-- Daniel