[mythtv] slow MPEG4?

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Sun Dec 18 09:51:24 EST 2005

Hi,

the internal MPEG4 encoder in MythTV seems to be very slow compared to
mencoder. MythTV needs about 80-100% of Sempron 3100+ CPU to grab,
encode and store to disk while mencoder can grab, deinterlace, denoise
and crop the video with just 50% of the CPU. Bitrate (2700 kbps) and
resolution (352x576) is the same in both cases. Is this normal?

As I would like to crop and denoise the video during recording (is it
possible somehow? Can I use some video processing plugins during
recording?) I am looking for ways improving the speed of the internal
MPEG4 encoder. Or is something else slow? Does MythTV grabs differently
than mencoder (V4L2) or is the NUV container somehow slower than AVI? Or
what else is different?

Thanks for advice.

Petr