Fwd: Re: [mythtv] XvMC - where'd it go?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Mon Dec 19 20:03:45 EST 2005

Subject: Re: [mythtv] XvMC - where'd it go?
Date: Monday 19 December 2005 07:02 pm
From: Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com>
To: Jesse Crews <jcrews at gridlox.net>

On Monday 19 December 2005 05:16 pm, you wrote:
> > Jesse, your losing me.  There are two XvMC 'like' options in configure,
> > --enable-xvmc            enable XvMC      (Linux/BSD MPEG accel.)
> >  --enable-xvmc-pro        enable XvMC for the unichrome pro
> >
> > I get that there are 2 XvMC libraries, and it appears that I'm linking in
> > BOTH, as a ldd mythfrontend shows
> > ldd mythfrontend |grep -i vmc
> >        libviaXvMC.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libviaXvMC.so.1 (0xb6e0d000)
> >        libXvMC.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so.1 (0xb6e09000)
>
> For nvidia, use --enable-xvmc. Doing an install of nvidia-glx and
> nvidia-kernel, depending upon your distrobution, will produce a
> configure report that says it is using -lXvMCNVIDIA.

That's the option I'm using.

> > My configure command simply had --enable-xvmc, no other
> > fancy stuff.  So where did I go wrong here?  It sounds like
> > configure is missing some options to allow this fine of detail...
>
> It's not really missing anything. It looks like you have a via
> (unichrome) XvMC installation. Just remove and reinstall the nvidia-glx
> package and use any switcher scripts, if the distro needs to use one.
>
> What's your distribution? If you get lost, it will help me to know this.

They are Mandriva 2005, running stock kernels of 2.6.11 & 2.6.12 kernels,
the same Nvidia driver, downloaded from their web site.
The Nvidia driver always loads the XvMC library
I think; I've never loaded any specific package other than these.
Remember, both machines worked fine with XvMC for over a year (used daily) on
0.18.1 or before.  The Myth upgrade has been the only change.

Brian