[mythtv] LiveTV Recordings question

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Dec 20 08:08:59 EST 2005

Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Todd Tidwell wrote:
>>
>>> How about, then, a simple "Autoexpire LiveTV Recordings After
>>> Viewing" that
>>> just simply means they get autoexpired as soon as you change the
>>> channel or
>>> stop viewing LiveTV?  That doesn't seem like it would burden anyone
>>> in terms
>>> of adding to the complexity.
>>>

>> The answer here basically boils down to: You're thinking of your
>> MythTV box like a computer and not like a DVR.  Why do you care how
>> much disk space is being used currently by recordings that you cannot
>> see from the UI and will be removed automatically to make space for
>> other recordings?
>

> Because MythMusic, MythDVD, MythVideo, and MythGallery have no way to
> gain extra space on the disk?  Myth is a whole lot more than just
> recording TV.  I've not mucked around with the new LiveTV code but I
> can understand why some folks would be concerned about drive space.

As you could before LiveTV changes, you can set the buffer over which
Myth will not consume space.  This guarantees available space for the
other plugins.  Also, you can set your auto-expire frequency to a low
number so that when you do copy data for the other modules Myth will
reclaim space quickly as the disk is filled (I just did this yesterday
with a .VOB rip on a full Myth partition).  All of this is no different
than pre-LiveTV changes, which Isaac has been saying all along.  This
only *real* difference is that you may encounter this situation faster
because more recordings are occuring but this "issue" is as real
pre-LiveTV changes as it was post and Myth handles it very well.

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net