[mythtv] Mythjobqueue (including commflag) packaged for MacOS X

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 04:39:35 EST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Nigel Pearson wrote:

>> Just thought I would let anyone interested know that I have made a
>> self-contained mac application for the jobqueue.
>
> 	Geoff, I haven't have a chance to look at this,
> but I recently modified the osx-packager to build and
> package up several programs (MythJobQueue included).
>
> 	Would it be possible to incorporate your changes
> in the standard programs/mythjobqueue source?
>
> 	Of do you think it be better to leave it separate?

I didn't really change the source at all, I just cheated.  I simply
created 3 separate apps by changing the names in the packager
script.  Then I copied the transcode and commflag executables into
the MacOS directory of the jobqueue.app bundle.  Finally, I renamed
the jobqueue executable to mythjobqueue_exec and replaced it with the
following shell script:

#!/bin/sh
PRG=$0
PRG=`dirname $PRG`
export PATH=$PATH:$PRG
echo $PATH
`exec $mythjobqueue_exec`

The original problem that this set out to solve is the jobqueue
expects the executables for commflag and transcode to be in the
path.  When they are inside the bundle, this is just not going to
happen.  The correct fix would probably be to define the path in the
source when compiling on mac to be inside the bundle.  This same fix
should work for a packaged backend.  Lastly, there is a setting we
can add to the info.plist file in the bundle so that applications
that should run in the background such as the backend and the
jobqueue don't show up in the Dock.  Below is the key to add:

LSUIElement     1

Since we don't have a gui for these apps, the dock icon just bounces
forever...

That all being said, I'd like to see 4 .apps packaged for mac by the
packager script:

1)Frontend
2)backend --including jobqueue, commflag, and transcode all in
the .app bundle
3)Jobqueue  --including commflag and transcode so that we can run
jobqueue without the backend
4)Commflag --sometimes we just need to commflag

Geoff