[mythtv] timestretch == prebuffering pause

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Dec 29 00:26:14 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 22:17 -0700, John P Poet wrote:
> So, 'A'vailable means that the data has been sent from the backend,
> and the frontend just needs to "decode" it?  So, messing with the
> backend/frontend buffering is not going to help...

Not exactly, 'A'vailable means that the buffer is available for
decoding onto. So if the CPU usage were high I'd suspect the
decoder wasn't keeping up. But since the it isn't, I'd look at
the RingBuffer next. I just wanted to let you know it probably
isn't something like the audio playback, video display , or A/V
sync causing the problem.

> Since my CPU usage is only 60%, I tried renicing mythfrontend to -3,
> and X to -4.  That *may* have help a little bit, but not much.
It probably isn't a CPU bound problem, but rather something like a
buffer size, or long timeout problem.

> Oh well, not that big of a deal.  I doubt I will use a timestretch >
> 1.2 very often, but I figured that I should be able to make it work.
Yeah it would be nice.

-- Daniel