[mythtv] Tv power control idea

Neil Whelchel koyama at firstlight.net
Fri Dec 30 03:54:18 EST 2005

Seems like it might be the long way around to install xscreensaver just as
a tool to fetch the state. Maybe there should be a more general purpose
hook built into Mythtv instead of the xcsreensaver specific ones persent
now. (Which could be used to control xscreensaver or ANY other outside
program for power management or screensaver, slideshow, or background
music.)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> Neil Whelchel p=ED=B9e v =C8t 29. 12. 2005 v 18:11 -0800:
> > So I came up with the idea of powering off the TV when the screensaver
> > would come on. (Also this has the ability to turn the TV on as well.)
> > At the moment I hacked the fillowing into screensaver-x11.cpp. Knowing
> > that this ais a temporary hack I am posting here for ideas as to what t=
he
> > correct way to go about this is...
>
> You don't have to hack xscreensaver.
>
> > The hack simply checks for the presence of a FIFO in the /tmp directory=
=2E
> > If the file is there it simply writes a number to it to indicate the st=
ate
> > of the screensaver.
>
> try xscreensaver-command -watch
>
> Petr

-Neil Whelchel-
First Light Internet Services
760 366-0145
- We don't do Window$, that's what the janitor is for -

Bubble Memory, n.:
        A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
intelligence.  See also "vacuum tube".