[mythtv] [patch] multi channel audio patch 1

Mark Spieth mark at dclabs.com.au
Fri Dec 30 04:04:04 EST 2005

attached is the next version of the multi channel audio patch.
I have tested it with ALSA and it works up to 6 channels with timestretch
with a AC3.5.1 avi I have. I have only listened to 2 channels connected to
my sound card though so this needs more testing. Ive limited it to 6
channels at the moment.
AC3 passthrough support is not handled yet so you need to use all 3 jacks
from your audio card to test currently. So dont use it yet (ac3
passthrough).

however from my alsa reading you can get alsa to reencode te 6 channel audio
back to AC3 but I dont know how this is done. If this is true, I may just
leave it at that and not reencode in myth (easier for me :) ).
There is a bit of code for support of ac3 reencode in audio layer which I
may back out if an ALSA setup is viable.

no mmx for soundtouch mods yet so it does take a bit of grunt. hopefully a
sunday or monday job.

there is a VERBOSE flag added for my testing called timestamp. if you want
use it with
VERBOSE(VB_AUDIO|VB_TIMESTAMP, xxx)
I find it useful to remove timestamp generated logging but still have the
important AUDIO and PLAYBACK messages come out.

to enable go to the audio setup screen in the frontend and select the
appropriate number of channels.

I may start a ticket for the next rev to keep track of the devel a bit if
thats ok.

so feedback is now required as I dont have the setup to test more than I
have.

no change to behaviour if in 2 channel max mode.

cheers
mark