[mythtv] [patch] DVB EIT fixes

Wed Feb 2 15:09:28 UTC 2005

Hi all,
   Sorry for this reply being a little delayed...

> From: Taylor Jacob
> Subject: Re: [mythtv] [patch] DVB EIT fixes
>
> Quoting Anders Hanson:
>> With this patch applied and with the following small fix I was able to
>> get the EIT from the Swedish ComHem DVB-C network!
>> It seems that ComHem is sending EIT in table 0x4e and 0x4f.
>
> The 0x4E and 0x4F tables contain current/next events only.  With this
> it is
> impossible to schedule since you will only know what will be on next..
> intentionally ignored these tables..  If you have 0x50-0x6F tables
> these
> contain the current and future events so only they are handled.  The
> current/next may look good in the EPG on myth but they really don't
> help in
> using at as PVR..

I'm using DVB in Australia.  I don't believe any channels include full
schedule information here, but they seem to include the 'current/next'
information.

The worrying thing about Aus scheduling is that the TV channels seem to
be deliberately vague in their published schedules.  At one point, one
of the major commercial channels added a 15 minute "late news update"
to their schedule, pushing all shows after it back 15 minutes.  This
was never reflected in any published schedule for that channel (XMLTV,
paper TV guide, other web sources (including that channel's own web
site)) EXCEPT the 'current/next show' DVB information.

My thought was to use the 'current/next show' information for
fine-tuning the start and end times of a program about to be recorded,
rather than always recording shows with 5 minute buffers (and still
missing the endings of some late night shows).

I guess the take-home here is that it would be nice to have that
information around in some form, in case anyone every gets to making a
patch that uses it.  (if it isn't too much work).

Cheers,

Will        :-}

P.S.  I've also noted that the published guide information sometimes
has incorrect subtitles, causing myth not to record a 'repeated'
program that isn't actually a repeat.  If this could be caught by the
'next show' data too, that would be really great :)

--
Dr William Uther                           National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357               Computer Science and Engineering