[Semi-OT]: TWC Firewire [Was: Re: [mythtv] [patch] firewire mpeg2ts input]

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Feb 3 02:36:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 19:40 -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Tom E. Craddock, Jr. wrote:
> > If they dont have any 1394 capable boxes, they are in voilation of FCC
> > mandates, theyve had to have them since July 04, so you need to report
> > them and they will get fined. Its the SA3250 HD Box from TWC in Tampa,
> > FL. that has the 1394 connections.
>
> Yeah, after getting bounced around between a bunch of techs, they are
> going to bring out a 3250HD with firewire on Friday. We'll see.  :)
>
> They say they have two versions of the 3250HD - one with firewire and one
> without, so you have to specify firewire, and (at least here in MSP) they
> will only give you it if they come install it - you can't pick it up.

So you have to pay for the service visit?  That's not so cool, and
possibly illegal (IMHO, but IANAL).  You could always make a fuss and
have them deliver it to your local cable office where you can pick it
up.  Thus, no service charge.  Comcast tried the same thing with me at
one point, but I'm not too fond of the idea of Comcast techs getting a
look at my menagerie of equipment...

Them:  "Now we hook up the cable box to your TV"
Me: "Yeah.  Firewire port goes into the mystery HTPC case and that's
it."
Them: "The TV, please"
Me: "The door is over there for your use now."

follow-up visit from cable modem tech...
Them: "Where's the Windows box?"
Me: "What Windows box?"
Them: "The one we connect the cable modem to."
Me: "<sigh>"...

	-I