[mythtv] On Themes & Theming

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Feb 3 11:02:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 05:09 -0500, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> The release notes *are* on the wiki. Though I think only a couple people
> have ever updated them aside from myself.  When I was indisposed for a
> month or so nobody touched them.
>
> The issue Isaac has, as well as myself to some extent, is that wiki
> documentation is not being fed back to the core project documentation
> thus creating two sources for docs instead of one.

Just a thought... could it be as such that:

1. The official docs are exactly that - the official docs, period.
2. Jarod's Guide is for those who want to install via RPM on RedHat-
based systems, remembering rule #1 and that questions regarding problems
regarding RPM installs go to -users, but mainly for users experienced
with Jarod's guide (and Axel's RPMs)-based installs.
3. The official docs are the official docs, period.
4. The wiki is for specific installation issues regarding particular
types of hardware/software combos, referring to the official docs for
guidance when in doubt (or Jarod's guide/Axel's RPMS when necessary).

And, of course, rule #5:
5. The official docs are the only official supported docs, and anyone
who doesn't want to follow them takes their chances.  (Even though for
many folks, RPMs are the safer option...)

How's that for a summary of documentation? ;)

I started with RPMs, then started from scratch and went with source
builds from CVS about 18 months ago.  Even though the dependencies are
still installed via RPM, myth will be built from source on my box.
Building from source is the only way that I can report issues reliably.
RPM builds are, foremost, intended for release versions...

	-Ian (who really needs to get some sleep...)