[mythtv] Re: [Semi-OT]: TWC Firewire

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 3 21:24:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:07:05AM -0500, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 21:36, Ian Forde wrote:
> > follow-up visit from cable modem tech...
> > Them: "Where's the Windows box?"
> > Me: "What Windows box?"
> > Them: "The one we connect the cable modem to."
> > Me: "<sigh>"...
>
> Yeah, I just went through this with my father and Comcast.  I told him
> not to let the tech install or configure anything on his computer,
> since he has a router/switch.  Of course, the first thing the
> installation tech did was check my dad's computer, after which he
> refused to perform the install because it was "too slow" (P-II 300) and
> was running Win98 (tech said Win98SE was required).  What an idiot.  My
> dad's shopping around for a self-install kit now.

Time Warner/Bright House Tampa Bay has been fairly intelligent about
this for some years now: you tell them "You get a working DHCP
connection on the ethernet jack, and I will be responsible for the
rest" and by ghod, they do it that way.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me