[mythtv] Patch: Dropdown for audio output device selection

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 3 23:30:22 UTC 2005

>> Patchette to add the other audio options to the device dropdown.
>> Should make it easier for people to work out how to enable Alsa
>> support and the like.
>

> Since Core Audio and Direct Sound currently ignore this parameter, the
> dropdown really shouldn't be shown at all in these cases. If you set
> up something more complicated for runtime, like scanning /proc/asound,
> I'll contribute code to list and use any of the connected devices on
> OS X.

I agree and had thought about it.  I decided that it was worth putting
them in because it avoids say OS X users having to leave something in
the combo box which is a complete lie.  It also might be useful in other
parts of the code to key off....  I agree though that for DirectX and
OSX it's really just a placeholder, but hopefully it's going to reduce
confusion.

> For the mixer settings in the Core Audio case, there's no master vs.
> PCM division, so the "PCM Mixer Volume" and the independent muting
> checkbox are the only relevant settings from that section.

I think this is going to be pretty much true for quite a few other audio
devices.  I haven't poked around in the code enough to figure out how to
do this.  Anyone got a pointer to an example?

>> I wonder though whether the stuff in the .pro file shouldn't simply
>> get moved up to the top level setting.pro?
>

> Isaac mentioned that he'd accept patches to move settings.pro flags to
> configure, and I was planning to try that (starting with the audio
> settings, coincidentally) as soon as I got the chance. Over this
> weekend, I hope to build a patch for the defines to be in config.h,
> instead of any .pro file.

Sounds great.  At the moment we have stuff like the audio defines for
OS_X, DirectX and OSS defined at the top level settings.pro file, but
then the other audio device defines are only in specific .pro files
where they are needed.  Moving at least the #define stuff up to the top
level for consistency might be sensible?

Ed W