[mythtv] broken "system" calls

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 07:47:21 UTC 2005

Hi all,
Attached is a trivial diff against CVS which changes two occurrences
of 'system' with 'myth_system' in
"programs/mythbackend/scheduler.cpp". These occurrences are for when
"Startup Command" and "Halt Command" are run.

myth_system correctly closes fd's after forking and before execing
which system does not. I needed this in my setup because my 'halt'
command kills mythbackend, then initiates a suspend-to-ram. For this
to work I have to unload one of the modules from my DVB card (as it
requires firmware which must be reloaded after a resume). Without this
fix the module unloading will fail because the DVB process
"[kdvb-fe-0]" continues to run even after mythbackend is killed,
presumable because the halt script inherits an fd which holds the DVB
card open.

I'm no genius so please let me know if there's any reason why this is
not an appropriate fix :)

Thanks,
Dave