[mythtv] Firewire DV Capture

jimbo-mythtv at edwardsclan.net jimbo-mythtv at edwardsclan.net
Wed Feb 9 20:26:32 UTC 2005

I was looking at the latest HDTV Firewire patch, great work!  However, as
some other people have noticed, some channels are encrypted (actually,
almost all here are, except broadcast channels).  I am not an expert on
Video compression, so I had some thoughts/ideas that I was considering
implementing.  Since libiec61883 also supports DV stream capture, using an
almost identical API, I was thinking of creating another patch that uses DV
stream instead of MPEG2 TS.  This would allow those encrypted channels to
work using a DV video converter (I have an abundance of those).  Then using
those two inputs, you would create a channel list for each, the
non-encrypted ones would go over the MPEG2-TS, while the encrypted ones
would come in over DV.  My question is, I noticed the patch was using
MPEG2-TS specific functions, to align keyframes and such, since DV is a
different structure, how might that code have to change?  Would the
DTVRecorder class be able to handle DV streams with minimal modification?