[mythtv] HDTV Random Blockiness

Thomas M. Pluth tpluth at surewest.net
Sun Feb 13 01:56:01 UTC 2005

The close() fix that John Patrick Poet submitted has taken care of the
random blockiness problem for HDTV recordings off my HD-2000 card, but I
still see that occurring (along with several buffer overruns from the card)
if I change channels while watching Live TV.  Subsequent channel changes
continue to exhibit the symptom as well, and I usually lose sound, too.
Switching to another capture card and then back to the HD-2000 gives me a
clean stream, so I assume a similar type of fix is needed after a channel
change.

I don't think I see the same thing occurring on my HD-3000 card, but it
might just be because that's the only card in a different backend server.
The HD-2000 is in my master backend, which is also where my /myth/store
(live TV ringbuffer) is shared out of, while the HD-3000 is on a slave
backend that I only seldom use.  Could the extra DMA activity of the HDD's
be exacerbating this?

John, would it be possible to close and reopen the stream when a channel
change occurs?

I don't remember this happening prior to the 1.5 drivers and the RAM
ringbuffer that was added.

Thanks!